Jackson County was established on August 12, 1822, the year after the United States received possession of the Floridas. The Act of the Territorial Legislative Council divided West Florida into two counties, Jackson and Escambia. At that time, Jackson County included all the territory between the Choctawhatchee and Suwannee Rivers, an area that now encompasses land in seventeen North Florida counties. Jackson County is the third county established in Florida and is named in honor of Andrew Jackson, who was the Governor of the Territories of East and West Florida. The county seat is Marianna, incorporated November 5, 1828.
Jackson County hosts an array of historic homes dating back prior to the Civil War. The fifth Governor of Florida, John Milton owned thousands of acres of land at what is now known as Blue Springs, and close to Neal’s Landing. He is laid to rest at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Marianna. The antebellum homes that still stand today are a glimpse of the gorgeous homes of what was known as ‘silk stocking row’ in Marianna. Great Oaks Plantation in Greenwood is thought one of the last antebellum homes built in the South.
Jackson County’s early history can be found in the 1600s when Spanish explorers walked through the area from Mission San Luis. The Jackson County Spanish Heritage Trail tells the story in a 150-mile tour throughout the county detailing several mission sites, battles, and revolts.