A Spanish mission established in ca. 1680, Mission San Carlos was at one time the westernmost European settlement in Florida. San Carlos consisted of a church and other structures located in a village of Christian Chacato (Chatot) Indians. Described in a number of Spanish accounts, it functioned until it was destroyed by Creek Indian raiders from up the Chattahoochee River in 1696. An interpretive kiosk tells the story of the mission, the site of which was found by archaeologists in the 1940s.