A rare surviving reminder of the days before municipal water systems, the Sneads Town Pump provided water for travelers and the community during its early days. Believed to have been placed in 1899 or 1900 by Gabriel Smith. The site for the mechanical pump and its covering shelter of cypress shingles was sold to the community by F.A. and Mittie Brown for $200 on February 18, 1899. Prior to the installation of the pump, water came from open wells. Legend holds that “He who drinks from this pump will always return” and it was a custom for grooms to have their heads dunked beneath it before weddings in the town’s early days, to assure they would always return.