Surrounded by Lafayette, Madison, Jackson and Caledonia Streets, this square has been a landmark of Marianna since the city was founded in 1827. The grounds are home to beautiful oak trees. Hand to hand fighting took place on the grounds during the Battle of Marianna and the Confederate commander, Col. A.B. Montgomery, was captured on the southeast corner of the square. County archives which preserve records dating back to the 1820’s, are held in the basement of the Courthouse.