Built in the 1840s by James Hall, the house was originally of wood-frame construction, but was faced with brick in the early 1900s. It was purchased by W.H. Long in 1913 and has been known as the Hayes-Long Mansion ever since. A private residence, the home is not open to the public, but can be viewed from State Highway 71. A historical marker there provides information on its history. Of interest just across the highway is the historic Greenwood Methodist Cemetery, where many pioneer settlers of the community are buried.