Home to the Chipola Historical Trust, the historic Davis-West House was built in the 1840s by John Davis, a veteran of the Seminole and Mexican-American Wars. He was badly wounded in the Battle of Marianna on September 27, 1864. The home played an important role in Jackson County’s violent Reconstruction era. It was rented during that time by Clerk of Courts John Q. Dickinson, a native of Vermont. He was murdered in 1871 by a shot fired from the grounds. The house later became the home of Dr. Theophilus West and his wife, Rebecca Davis West. Dr. West had served as a surgeon in the Army of Northern Virginia. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and tours can be arranged by calling (850) 526-4168.