Jackson County is home to a stunning array of historic sites and points of interest! Florida’s third oldest county, we are home to Spanish Colonial sites, Seminole War battlefields, antebellum homes, historic churches, Florida’s oldest bridge, the site of the Battle of Marianna and much more.
The sites below are grouped by community to help you enjoy exploring the remarkable heritage of Jackson County, Florida.
Russ House & Visitor Center
4318 Lafayette St., Marianna, FL
ackson County’s official Visitor Center, the historic Russ House was built in the 1890s and significantly remodeled in 1910. One of the most beautiful Classical Revival/Queen Anne homes in America, it is an impressive landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Said to be haunted, it has been the focus of a number of paranormal investigations and is rumored to have several ghosts. Guided tours are available daily, Monday-Friday, during regular business hours.
Russ Street, directly across from the Russ House, Marianna, FL
Originally the west wing of the nearby Ely-Criglar Mansion, this home was built in ca. 1840 and survived the Battle of Marianna. It included the bedrooms of the original house. It was disconnected from the mansion during the early 1900s and turned to face Russ Street. Since that time it has been used as a residence, apartments and now as a business office. It overlooks the intersection of Lafayette and Russ Streets, known locally as Ely Corner, the site where heavy fighting began during the Battle of Marianna.
242 W. Lafayette St., Marianna, FL
This private home is not open to the public, but can be viewed from the sidewalk. Built in around 1840, it is one of Florida’s most beautiful antebellum homes. Parts of the Battle of Marianna were fought on the grounds and the house was struck by numerous bullets and even a cannon ball! During the Reconstruction era, freed African Americans held political rallies in the pecan grove behind the house. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Hinson House
4338 W. Lafayette St., Marianna, FL
A charming bed & breakfast inn, the Hinson House was built in in 1920 as a fashionable home fronting Lafayette Street. It was purchased in 1996 by Judy and Sid Riley who operate it as a bed and breakfast that focuses on providing great experiences for visitors seeking accommodations in a historical setting. The Hinson House is located on part of the scene of the Battle of Marianna and one of its rooms – the Home Guard Room – honors the local citizens who fought in the engagement.
W. Lafayette St., Marianna, FL
A stunning Queen Anne style Victorian home, this private residence can be seen from the sidewalk. Built in around 1902, the home features a tower, gingerbread accents, gazebo and seven fireplaces! It was built by Mary Jane Dickson, the widow of a Confederate soldier. Her father, Marmaduke Dickson, was one of the local citizens killed in the Battle of Marianna. The Dickson-Mock House is one of Jackson County’s most beautiful private residences.
4351 Lafayette St., Marianna, FL
Built in ca. 1849 by local attorney William Anderson, this house played an important role in the Battle of Marianna and an interior door bears sword marks from the fighting. Its builder was a brigadier general in the Florida Militia before and during the Civil War and was captured in the Battle of Marianna. The house was later owned by Dr. J.T. Holden. During the Battle of Marianna, Confederate troops and volunteers were positioned on the grounds and heavy fighting took place as Union soldiers drove them down the slope behind the house in hand to hand fighting. The home is now a day spa.
4293 Lafayette St., Marianna, FL
Built after the Civil War on the site of a boarding house burned during the Battle of Marianna, the historic MacKinnon House is one of very few homes constructed in Jackson County during the difficult days of the Reconstruction Era. During the Battle of Marianna, Union troops set fire to a two-story boarding house on this site. The home was occupied by the wives and widows of Confederate soldiers at the time and both Northern and Southern accounts indicate that some of the women took part in the battle by firing on the Union troops from the windows of the house. The home is now an attorney’s office.
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church & Cemetery
4362 Lafayette St., Marianna, FL
This beautiful sanctuary is surrounded by one of Florida’s most historic cemeteries. The grounds were the scene of heavy fighting during the Battle of Marianna and the church itself is sometimes called “Florida’s Alamo” because some Confederate soldiers fought to the death from inside as the church was burned down around them. The current structure looks much like the church that stood here during the battle. Buried in the cemetery are soldiers of the battle, Florida’s Confederate Governor John Milton, noted 19th century novelist Caroline Lee Hentz and the wife and son of Dr. John Gorrie, inventor of the artificial ice machine. The grounds are open to the public daily.
First National Bank Building
Caledonia St., Marianna, FL
Erected in 1902 on the site of an earlier private bank, the historic First National Bank Building was considered one of Florida’s finest banking structures of its day. Tradition holds that it was the first bank in Florida to use an adding machine. The top of the building is crowned by a beautiful ornamental eagle. One of two that originally stood on the columns that rise on each side of the roof, it was moved to the peak of the facade after its twin was lost. The building is now owned by the City of Marianna, but is not open to the public pending restoration and remodeling work. It can be viewed from Confederate Memorial Park, the triangular park area in the center of historic Marianna.
Jackson County Courthouse
4445 Lafayette St., Marianna, FL
Surrounded by Lafayette, Madison, Jackson and Caledonia Streets, this square has been a landmark of Marianna since the city was founded in 1827. The historic oak trees were planted in the 1870s by a former slave who had entered the landscaping business. Hand to hand fighting took place on the grounds during the Battle of Marianna and the Confederate commander, Col. A.B. Montgomery, was captured on the southeast corner of the square. The basement of the courthouse houses the county archives which preserve records dating back to the 1820s.
Caledonia Street across from the Courthouse, Marianna, FL
This unique historic structure served as a doctor’s office during the 1860s. Dr. W.S. Wilson, who practiced in the building, treated Confederate wounded after the Battle of Marianna. It later was home to Marianna’s first telephone exchange and in 1920 was purchased by J.A. Ormond and moved to this site for use as a land title (or “abstract”) office. A gift shop now occupies Marianna’s oldest business structure.
Intersection of Madison & Putnam Streets, Marianna, FL
Home to the Chipola Historical Trust, the historic Davis-West House was built in the 1840s by John Davis, a veteran of the Seminole and Mexican-American Wars. He was badly wounded in the Battle of Marianna on September 27, 1864. The home played an important role in Jackson County’s violent Reconstruction era. It was rented during that time by Clerk of Courts John Q. Dickinson, a native of Vermont. He was murdered in 1871 by a shot fired from the grounds. The house later became the home of Dr. Theophilus West and his wife, Rebecca Davis West. Dr. West had served as a surgeon in the Army of Northern Virginia. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and tours can be arranged by calling (850) 526-4168.
Old St. Luke Baptist Church
Jackson St., Marianna, FL
This beautiful old church structure was built after the Civil War to serve the African American community. Many of its original members had been slaves prior to the war. A Florida Heritage Landmark, it faces Jackson Street where part of the Battle of Marianna was fought in 1864. The historic church is a stop on Florida’s Black History Trail and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is an architectural landmark.
Franklin St., Marianna, FL
Marianna’s oldest cemetery, Riverside was established as part of the original city plan prepared by founders Robert and Anna Maria Beveridge in 1827. Mrs. Beveridge died just a few years after Marianna was founded and is buried in an unmarked grave here. Others buried in the old section include both Union and Confederate soldiers killed in the Battle of Marianna, Armstrong Purdee (Jackson County’s first African-American attorney), veterans, business and political leaders, slaves and hundreds of others who played important roles in the history of Marianna, Jackson County and Florida.
Florida Caverns State Park
3345 Caverns Rd., Marianna, FL
Home to Florida’s only public tour cave, Florida Caverns State Park is a Jackson County treasure! The park protects numerous important geological, archaeological and historic sites. A museum is located in the Visitor Center and interpretive panels and brochures help interpret sites throughout the park. Guided tours of the caves are available Thursday-Monday. The park also features picnic areas, nature trails, Blue Hole Spring, the Chipola River, campgrounds and more. Interpretive programs are offered throughout the year. The entrance fee is $5 per vehicle.
Bellamy Bridge Heritage Trail
4057 County Road 162, Marianna, FL
Located several miles north of Marianna on Highway 162, the Bellamy Bridge Heritage Trail is a one-half mile long walking path that leads to historic and haunted Bellamy Bridge. The trail allows visitors to walk in the footsteps of Spanish soldiers, Creek Indians, early settlers and Civil War soldiers. A series of interpretive kiosks detail points of interest along the route. The highlight of the trail is Bellamy Bridge, a steel-frame structure completed in 1914. Florida’s most haunted bridge, the historic span is said to be haunted by the restless ghost of Elizabeth Jane Bellamy (and several other less well-known ghosts). The trail is open during daylight hours and is free to visit. Free tours (including after dark ghost tours) can be arranged by calling the historic Russ House & Visitor Center at (850) 482-8061 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Highway 71, Greenwood, FL
Completed in 1860, Great Oaks is believed to be the last true antebellum home built in the South. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the beautiful old mansion was restored in the 1960s by the Claude Reese family. First owned by Elijah Bryan, it was completed in the last days before Florida seceded from the Union and takes its name from the beautiful live oak trees on the grounds. The home is not open to the public, but can be viewed from State Highway 71 where a historical marker details its story.
Fort Rd. at State Highway 71 Intersection, Greenwood, FL
The oldest standing home in Jackson County, the historic Erwin House has a rich and noteworthy history. Built in the 1830s by John A. Syfrett, the home was a recognized stopping point for travelers along the old Fort Road. The home takes its name from Col. John M.F. Erwin who moved in with his wife Georgia C. Bryan in 1861. An officer in the state militia and later the Confederate army, Erwin was a state legislator and merchant. The house was adapted over the years as families came and went, but retains much of its simple beauty. The house is not open to the public, but can be viewed from the sidewalk along Fort Road. A unique feature of the yard is the old limestone walled well near the intersection of State Highway 71 and Fort Road.
State Highway 71, Greenwood, FL
Built in the 1840s by James Hall, the house was originally of wood-frame construction, but was faced with brick in the early 1900s. It was purchased by W.H. Long in 1913 and has been known as the Hayes-Long Mansion ever since. A private residence, the home is not open to the public, but can be viewed from State Highway 71. A historical marker there provides information on its history. Of interest just across the highway is the historic Greenwood Methodist Cemetery, where many pioneer settlers of the community are buried.
L.S. Pender’s Store
State Highway 71, Greenwood, FL
Built in 1869, this historic general store is believed to be the oldest such enterprise still in operation in Florida. Originally named N.B. Long and Bros., the business was built on land purchased from Col. John M.F. Erwin, owner of the adjacent Erwin House. Because he lived so nearby, Col. Erwin stipulated that the business could not be used as a livery stables or blacksmith shop. Lawrence Pender bought the store in 1896 and reneamed it L.S. Pender’s. It remains in the Pender family today and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The store is open on weekdays and the public is welcome.
Two Egg, Florida
Intersection of Highways 69 and 69A, Two Egg, Florida
Known far and wide for its unique name, Two Egg is one of Florida’s most beloved communities. The name originated during the hard times of the Great Depression when people from the surrounding farms traded goods such as eggs and other foodstuffs for what they needed from the Bevis Store. For many years Two Egg was home to two competing general stores, but both closed long ago and only one still stands today. The mysterious “Two Egg Stump Jumper” – a strange mini-Bigfoot creature – is said to haunt the swamps and woods several miles east of the community.
Mission San Carlos
West Bank Overlook off U.S. 90, Sneads, FL
A Spanish mission established in ca. 1680, Mission San Carlos was at one time the westernmost European settlement in Florida. San Carlos consisted of a church and other structures located in a village of Christian Chacato (Chatot) Indians. Described in a number of Spanish accounts, it functioned until it was destroyed by Creek Indian raiders from up the Chattahoochee River in 1696. Many of the peaceful inhabitants were carried away and sold as slaves to the English in South Carolina. The survivors eventually made their way west to Mobile Bay and finally even further west to Louisiana and Texas. An interpretive kiosk tells the story of the mission, the site of which was found by archaeologists in the 1940s.
Sneads Town Pump
Old Spanish Trail, Sneads, FL
A rare surviving reminder of the days before municipal water systems, the Sneads Town Pump provided water for travelers and the community during its early days. Believed to have been placed in 1899 or 1900 by Gabriel Smith. The site for the mechanical pump and its covering shelter of cypress shingles was sold to the community by F.A. and Mittie Brown for $200 on February 18, 1899. Prior to the installation of the pump, water came from open wells. Legend holds that “He who drinks from this pump will always return” and it was a custom for grooms to have their heads dunked beneath it before weddings in the town’s early days, to assure they would always return.
Three Rivers State Park
7908 Three Rivers Park Rd., Sneads, FL
Offering some of the most beautiful views in Jackson County, Three Rivers State Park spreads across high hills that overlook 37,500 acre Lake Seminole. The park takes its name from the forks of the Apalachicola, Chattahoochee and Flint Rivers, which can be seen from the shore. The rivers that flow pass the park have carried American Indians, U.S. soldiers, Spanish missionaries, British Royal Marines, Confederate gunboats and more. The forks fo the rivers is one of the most historic places in North America. Three Rivers also offers a lakeside cabin, campgrounds, picnic areas, nature trails, bike trails and more! It is open daily and the admission fee is $3 per vehicle.
Ekanachatte or “Red Ground”
Neal’s Landing Park, State Highway 2 at the Chattahoochee River
Ekanachatte (“Red Ground”) was a Creek Indian village of the 18th and early 19th century. Established in around 1760, it was a large town. British troops camped here during the American Revolution and many of the village’s warriors joined with them on a march east to defend St. Augustine from attacks by American Patriots. The adventurer and pirate William Augustus Bowles visited this town and his treasure is rumored to be hidden nearby. Ekanachatte was destroyed by the U.S. allied Creek brigade of Brig. Gen. William McIntosh in March 1818. It later became an important riverboat port called Neal’s Landing. Paddlewheel steamboats stopped here for passengers, cotton, timber, naval stores and other cargoes. At its height, the landing had a hotel, stores, warehouse and other buildings. Open during daylight hours and free to visit!
Pensacola-St. Augustine Road
City Park on east side of State Highway 71, one-half block south of State Highway 2, Malone, FL
An interpretive kiosk here tells the story of the historic Pensacola-St. Augustine Road. This noted pathway stretched from Pensacola to St. Augustine and passed through Malone along the route of today’s State Highway 2. Established by connecting American Indian trails, the road was first mapped in 1778 during the American Revolution. British troops used this route during the Revolutionary War and it later provided a pathway for traders, Creek Indians and others. The U.S. allied Creek brigade of Brig. Gen. William McIntosh passed along this road on its way to the Battle of the Upper Chipola (fought near Bellamy Bridge) in 1818.
Campbellton Baptist Church
State Highway 2 East, Campbellton, FL
Florida’s oldest baptist church in continuous service, the historic Campbellton Baptist Church was founded in 1825 as Bethlehem Baptist Church. It was also the first Baptist church in Florida to have a Female Missionary Society. Slaves were welcomed to church membership here and the early church records include the names of both white and black members.The current sanctuary was built in 1858 and its name was changed to Campbellton Baptist Church the following year. On September 26, 1864, Union troops camped on the grounds before moving south to the Battle of Marianna the next day. The church remains in use today with regular services. The historic cemetery that surrounds the church contains the graves of numerous early settlers, Confederate soldiers and others.
Spring Creek Settlement
Grounds of Campbellton Baptist Church, Campbellton, FL
A stop on the Jackson County Spanish Heritage Trail, this interpretive kiosk tells the story of the old Spring Creek Settlement. Established in the vicinity in 1819-1820 when Florida was still a Spanish colony, this settlement was one of the first American communities in Florida. Settlers crossed the line from present-day Alabama to settle on the rich lands where Campbellton later grew. The land here was more open thanks to an early Spanish settlement called San Antonio and a later Creek Indian settlement called Pucknawhitla. Many of the original settlers are buried in the church cemetery.
Heritage Village of Baptist College of Florida
The Heritage Drive off Sanders Ave., Graceville, FL
A remarkable project of the Baptist College of Florida, this unique heritage village consists of homes, churches, a one-room school and other historical structures brought in from through out the region. Lovingly restored by the faculty and students of the college, this buildings now serve a variety of purposes. The central commons features sidewalks that allow visitors to walk past and view each of the buildings. Unique events are held here and Heritage Village is a great place to see a variety of structures from many different eras of Florida history. Visitors are welcome on the grounds during daylight hours.
The Heritage Drive and Sanders Ave. at Heritage Village, Graceville, FL
This interpretive kiosk at Heritage Village is a stop on the Jackson County Spanish Heritage Trail. It tells the story of the revolt or rebellion states against Spanish missionaries by Chacato (Chatot) Indians in 1675. Led by the chief Dioscale, who became angry after priests told him he could not keep all of his multile wives, Chacato warriors rose up against the Spanish and drove them from what is now Jackson County. The kiosk tells the story of this revolt and the consequences it brought down on the Chacato (Chatot) people.
Service Drug Store
5341 Brown St., Graceville, FL
A remarkable step back in time, Service Drug Store in Graceville is a historic pharmacy and shop that preserves the charm and aura of days gone by. The store features its original furnishings and counters, displays, various local craft items (including great BBQ sauce) for sale, and an old fashioned soda fountain with the best milkshakes in Florida! It has been open since 1906 and wil mark its 100th birthday in 2016! It is open Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Fernandez de Florencia Raid
Parking area behind Cottondale City Hall, 2659 Front St., Cottondale, FL
A stop on the Jackson County Spanish Heritage Trail, this interpretive kiosk tells the story of the Fernandez de Florencia Raid of 1677. Alarmed over continuing attacks on peace Apalachee settlements around Mission San Luis (Tallahassee), Captain Juan Fernanez de Florencia authorized a raid against the Chisca (Yuchi) Indians in today’s Walton and Okaloosa Counties. Carried out by Christian Apalachee Militia, the raid passed through Jackson County and its route carried it across the site of what is now Cottondale. The kiosk tells the story of the raid and its results!