Jackson County was established on August 12, 1822, the year after the United States received possession of the Floridas, as Act of the Territorial Legislative Council divided West Florida into two counties, Jackson and Escambia. At that time, Jackson County included all territory between the Choctawhatchee and Suwannee Rivers, an area which now encompasses land in seventeen North Florida counties. Jackson County is the third county established in Florida and is named in honor of Andrew Jackson, Governor of the Territories of East and West Florida. The county seat is Marianna, incorporated November 5, 1828.
Jackson County hosts an array of historic homes dating back prior to Civil War. The confederate governor of Florida, John Milton owned thousands of acres of land at today’s Blue Springs and close to Neal’s Landing, and he is laid to rest at St. Luke’s Episcopal church in Marianna.The antebellum homes that still stand today are a glimpse of the gorgeous homes of what was known as ‘silk stocking row’ in Marianna. It is thought one of the last antebellum homes built in the south is Great Oaks plantation in Greenwood.
Jackson County’s history dates back to the late 1600s when Spanish exploration walked through here from Mission San Luis. The Jackson County Spanish Heritage Trail tells the story in a 150 mile tour through out the county detailing several mission sites, battles and revolts.